Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid on LinkedIn
- Using unprofessional photos – You should be presented exactly as people see you in your day-to-day work environment. Be sure your picture is up to date and you still look like yourself. Also, do not crop a photo of you from a wedding or with someone else (cropping the other person out of the image)
- Not using a custom URL – You can change your URL where it says Public Profile/edit. Use your name because this is a public link to use in marketing materials. If your name is not available try to pick something that will be good for your personal brand.
- Incomplete employment history – If you don’t list a complete work history, old friends and associates will have a hard time finding you and reconnecting. Also you want to showcase yourself as an expert and leader in your field of work.
- Not listing your specific URLs – Don’t be satisfied with the default “My Company” or “My Blog.” By simply dropping down to “Other” you can customize these links.
- Not adding a profile address to your email signature – Let everyone you email have easy access to the most complete info they could possibly find about you.
- No recommendations – This makes people wonder why no one has recommended you. Get recommendations from people that matter. In other words, no recommendations from people who hardly know you.
- Incomplete educational information – People search for people they went to school with, so this is key.
- Neglecting connections – This network is built on connections, so neglecting relationships is unwise.